Sunday 31 December 2023

Countdown to Christmas: Day 24


Christmas Eve was an insanely busy day, not helped by the fact that I didn't get any sleep last night. But it was all very good festive stuff, and I had an amazing time. (I just wish I hadn't been so tired that I went out in odd shoes at one point, and then broke my glasses in the evening!)

Operation Turkey



First thing in the morning, I headed over to Bury for what me and my mother-in-law were calling Operation Turkey (i.e. I took her to the local farm shop to pick up the turkey she'd ordered). This was an odd mission for a vegetarian to undertake, but she did give me a cup of tea and some homemade mince pies afterwards.

Castlerea Christmas Party



Next stop, Castlerea Care Home for the Christmas Eve party. I took a bottle of Salted Caramel Bailey's and some mince pies, read 'A Visit from St Nicholas' (aka ''Twas the Night Before Christmas'), and then handed out presents for the residents and staff. They had a Christmas quiz after that, but I couldn't stay because I had to fly off to my next thing.

Christmas Drink With a Friend



Me and my friend Poppy met up in Bowker Bank Woods for a festive drink and a chat this afternoon. And yes... yes I did make more mulled apple juice for the occasion.

Walk in the Woods





I had an amazing twilight walk to my parents' house through Blackley Forest this evening, with The Nutcracker Suite in my ears and a rucksack full of presents on my back. Admittedly, all I'd had so far today was mince pies, a little bit of Bailey's and some mulled apple juice (on around 2 hours sleep), but it was a perfect walk all the same.

Salted Caramel Lebkuchen Tea



At my parents' house and enjoying a little bit of calm before the rest of my family arrive, with some Bird and Blend Salted Caramel Lebkuchen tea.

Advent Tea



Behind the final door in my Bird and Blend tea calendar... Peppermint Hot Cocoa!

Advent Jewellery



And behind the penultimate door in my Avon jewellery calendar (because it's got a renegade Door No. 25 for tomorrow)... a candy cane pendant!

And so, the countdown is over and I'm ready for Christmas with my family, and so that's where I'm ending this blog. The wheel of the year will turn again after New Year, when we'll be getting ready to celebrate Imbolc.

No comments:

Post a Comment