Tuesday 15 February 2022

Stories to be Read with the Lights On 21: The $2,000,000 Defense by Harold Q. Masur


I've probably got time for one more story from my Hitchcock reread today. The next story in the book is 'The $2,000,000 Defense' by Harold Q. Masur. This story wasn't as immediately familiar as the previous ones, and I wasn't sure if I remembered reading it before when I started.


After a few pages, this one really wasn't ringing any bells. It's so weird the way I remember some stories and not others.

'The $2,000,000 Defense' is a typical 'Tales of the Unexpected'-type story that's very much in-keeping with the rest of the book. You can sort of see the ending coming, but there's an added sting in the final reveal that might be a surprise. I absolutely knew what was coming with this one, but it's because I guessed the ending, not because I remembered it. 'The $2,000,000 Defense' is a pretty standard story of someone getting their comeuppance. What I liked about it was the way you didn't realize it was comeuppance until right at the end (you think he's just a victim of something bad).

But, I have to say, I 100% do not remember reading this one before.

🠄Previous Story

No comments:

Post a Comment